I've gotten a lot of requests for details about my most favorite crime fiction authors, and I'm so excited you guys want to learn more about them!! It's been a great exercise to identify the authors whose works I not only always want to read, but who have also changed me as a reader, and influenced me as a person. As you know, I love a wide variety of crime authors, but there are a select few who will always be at the top of my list. Without further ado, here are CBTB'S FAVE CRIME FICTION AUTHORS:
1. Jo Nesbø. This man's books have my heart. I feel like I gush about Nesbø's gritty, addictive, twisted writing all the time... So what's once more? Nesbø's Harry Hole series sets the bar for Nordic Noir. Let Nesbø sweep you away into the darker side of Oslo, Norway, and follow in the footsteps of troubled detective Harry Hole (pronounced "hoo-leh") as he battles his personal demons, and hunts down killers plaguing his city.
CBTB LOVES NESBØ BECAUSE: his voice is dark, addictive, and gritty, and he builds deep, flawed characters you become emotionally invested in.
2. Camilla Läckberg. Another Scandinavian great, this talented lady writes mysteries that can stand up to any of her peers. Her series is set in a small fishing village in Sweden, and each book packs a punch.
CBTB LOVES LÄCKBERG BECAUSE: her unique combo of mystery, suspense, and strong character development (think romance and plenty of connections between characters).
3. Agatha Christie. No list of crime fiction authors would be complete without the Queen of Crime herself. Agatha Christie has defined the genre for nearly a century, and for good reason. Her body of work is extensive, and I continue to love every bit of it.
CBTB LOVES CHRISTIE BECAUSE: Classic mysteries written in the most distinctive voice of the genre. Intelligent, sharp, the ultimate whodunnits.
4. Herman Koch. Not exactly crime fiction, more dark psychological fiction, but Koch's books are brilliant. Koch explores the dark impulses and capabilities of average people, and I'm obsessed.
CBTB LOVES KOCH BECAUSE: his no-holds-barred approach to writing is perfectly grotesque, shocking, and insightful.
5. Patricia Cornwell. Cornwell's Scarpetta series was one of my first introductions to crime fiction, and I still highly recommend it as a modern-day classic detective series sure to keep you on the edge of your seat.
CBTB LOVES CORNWELL BECAUSE: pure entertainment. Cornwell writes a strong female lead, plenty of villains, fast-paced plots, and a series to get addicted to.
AUTHORS TO WATCH: these authors are relatively new to the crime fiction scene in the United States. Their debuts have impressed me and left me wanting more, and they totally deserve your attention!
1. Clare Mackintosh, I LET YOU GO
2. Sara Blaedel, THE FORGOTTEN GIRLS
3. Bernhard Aichner, WOMAN OF THE DEAD