BLOODY SCOTLAND 2017 // SEPT. 8 - 10
I’m thrilled to announce that this September, I’ll be making my first-ever trip to Scotland for the annual crime festival Bloody Scotland 2017!! I’ll be reporting to you on a whole variety of author panels, events, and general crime fiction fun - and introducing you to must-read authors from around the world in the process. Many thanks to the Bloody Scotland team for helping make this trip possible and being so welcoming as I've prepared!
The best thing about traveling for these crime fiction conferences is without a doubt the chance to meet with authors, both old favorites and rising stars on the crime fiction scene. Bloody Scotland is jam-packed with some CBTB favorites, and will also include appearances by authors whose books have long been on my to-read list! This is going to be an incredible weekend filled with many book recommendations to share, and I can’t wait to bring you along on the adventure with me.
Read on for an overview of Bloody Scotland 2017, a little bit about the city in which it's set, and a list of the authors I'm most looking forward to meeting!
BLOODY SCOTLAND 2017 PREVIEW
There's so much to look forward to at Bloody Scotland 2017. Highlights from the weekend will include:
- Author Appearances: big-name authors like Val McDermid, Ragnar Jonasson, Denise Mina, Ian Rankin, Sophie Hannah, and more!
- Panels: crime fiction's stars will share their knowledge and experience over two days worth of fantastic panels
- The McIlvanney Prize: the prize for Scottish Crime Book of the Year will be announced at the festival!
- Events: events like the opening ceremony, Crime at the Coo, and more will let festival-goers mingle with authors
- Crime Writing Masterclass: day 1 of the festival allows aspiring authors to learn from the best of the best - like Sophie Hannah!
Before I share my list of most-anticipated author appearances at Bloody Scotland, let’s take a moment to explore the beauty that is Stirling—home to the Bloody Scotland festival!
Stirling, Scotland - Home to Bloody Scotland
Before I travel anywhere, I love to learn a little bit about the location’s history. Thankfully, the Bloody Scotland website has a fantastic “Visit Stirling” section with all you might need to know! Craig Robertson, author of Random, Snapshot, Cold Grave, Witness the Dead, and The Last Refuge has written about his hometown for Bloody Scotland, quoted below:
Suffice it to say, I am so excited to see this gorgeous town, and to share it with you as I travel! Now, on to my most-anticipated author appearances...
BLOODY SCOTLAND 2017 MOST-ANTICIPATED AUTHOR APPEARANCES
Let me just start by saying, narrowing down this list was extremely difficult. Bloody Scotland has a fantastic blend of personal favorites and new-to-me authors—I’m genuinely looking forward to each and every panel on this program! Many authors from the amazing Orenda Books team will be at the festival, along with international bestsellers, celebrated Scottish crime authors, and many more! But I had to narrow down this list somehow—below are a few (okay, a lot) of authors whom I particularly cannot wait to see in Scotland.
- MJ ARLIDGE - if you’ve followed CBTB for a little while, you’ll know how much I love Arlidge’s DI Helen Grace series. I have never met him before, and am so looking forward to it!
- Upcoming US Release: HIDE AND SEEK
- CLARE MACKINTOSH - I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Clare a few times now, and cannot wait to see her again. Her psychological thrillers are unparalleled in my book!
- Latest US Release: I SEE YOU
- THOMAS ENGER - I’ve met Thomas a few times as well, and always have the best time chatting with him! Thomas has as fantastic Norwegian crime series featuring journalist Henning Juul - it’s a must-read.
- Latest US Release: CURSED
- DENISE MINA - you know those authors whose books you know you’ve just got to read? Scottish crime writer Denise Mina is one such author for me.
- Latest US Release: THE LONG DROP
- MATT WESOLOWSKI - I recently devoured Matt’s brilliant SIX STORIES, and am so excited to meet him! I’m hoping to have the chance to pick his brain about the book that has rightfully received so much attention.
- Latest US Release: SIX STORIES
- CHRIS CARTER - I’ve heard nothing but fantastic things about Chris Carter’s books, but I have yet to read them! They sound right up my alley, and Bloody Scotland will be the perfect reason for me to finally do so.
- Latest Release: THE CALLER
- LIZ NUGENT - UNRAVELING OLIVER is one of my most-anticipated summer psychological thrillers, and it’s the next book on my to-read list. I’m so eager to hear from Liz on her panel appearance!
- Upcoming US Release: UNRAVELING OLIVER
- CHRIS BROOKMYRE - Brookmyre has been nominated for the McIlvanney Prize, which will be announced at Bloody Scotland! I'm hoping to fill in a gap in my knowledge of his work while in Scotland.
- Latest Release: WANT YOU GONE
- VAL MCDERMID - no list would be complete without celebrated crime writer Val McDermid. I had the chance to listen to Val speak at Iceland Noir 2016, and was utterly blown away.
- Latest US Release: OUT OF BOUNDS
I truly could go on and on with this list, but I have to keep myself (somewhat) contained! To view a full list of author appearances, you can check out the festival’s program here.
I would love to hear from you: which authors are you most interested in learning more about? I’ll be working to set up author interviews as the festival gets closer, and want to make sure I bring you all the content you’re interested in!
Many thanks to the Bloody Scotland team for being so welcoming and answering my questions as I’ve prepped for this trip! I can’t wait to share more about this exceptional festival with you as I get ready for September.